I thought would give a quick update on what I’ve done so far during sabbatical. It has included 4 primary pursuits.
- Seeing God in His Word and prayer. Most of my time so far has been in the book of Hebrews. These have been rich times of reading, praying and journaling. Hebrews is a powerful book from God’s word that highlights the greatness of Jesus, the identity of Jesus, the salvation provided by Jesus and how to live a life empowered by Jesus for His glory. If you haven’t read it in a while I would invite you to join me.
- Seeking God through reading: So far I have read 4 books. They are:
- Union with Christ by Rankin Wilbourne.
- Lasting Impact by Carey Nieuwhof
- Sifted by Wayne Cordiero
- I Am A Church Member by Thom Rainer
- Attending the Exponential Ministry Conference: Exponential was a conference of nearly 7000 church leaders in Orlando Florida. It was full of inspiration and training regarding how to reach people for Jesus and expand God’s kingdom here on earth by multiplying churches. I attended with Brad Gorsuch, Pastor Jeremy and Krista, Dustin and Ashley Jost and Daniel and Candace Moss. We learned a lot about discipleship, leadership and church multiplication. The part regarding church multiplication through multiplying your church in different sites is what I felt God was speaking to me about. There are other experiences during my sabbatical that are targeted for learning more about the multi-site church as well.
- Personal Spiritual Retreat: After the Exponential Conference I took a personal spiritual retreat just outside of Orlando. It was a great time of connecting with God through His word and reading.
So, that is Sabbatical so far. I definitely hear God speaking to me personally in a number of areas and am extremely thankful for His guidance and grace!